Monday, January 29, 2018

Related and Unrelated Notes

Hello, to all! I don’t have a focused topic for today. But, there are a few things, not all related to each other, that I will share.

I avoided the Grammy Awards last night. This is good. Due to getting older (the opposite obviously does not happen), I have lost touch with keeping track of popular music. And I am good with that. This is three hours for which I did not give it my time. Come to think—I can actually relate this to Bonnie Raitt’s “Nick of Time,” the title track from the 1989 Grammy winner for Album of the Year, with these insightful words: “Life gets mighty precious when there is less of it to waste.” (Video, not the best quality, follows. I love the song!)






Binge-watching a 15-year-old series. Due to closeness with my Aunt, the sister of my late mother, who lives in Colorado, I will be visiting her for her 75th birthday this coming June. This blog will note it when the time comes. (Posting comments will still be available.) But, I have her to thank for getting me into watching a television series I ignored for years: CBS’s NCIS. It’s a Top 5-watched series—it finished three times within the last five seasons at No. 1—that needs no describing other than noting this simple fact: The good guys usually win; and the government is, for the most part, good. I have a good time with such fiction. It’s healthy to get away from real-world shit from time to time. I’m streaming it, from Season #01 going forward, on Netflix (which I resumed, just last week, thanks to comedian Dave Chappelle’s recent specials). I did not see NCIS, which premiered in 2003, for the first time until 2010, for an episode titled “Mother’s Day.” It guest-starred the great Gena Rowlands as the former mother-in-law of Mark Harmon’s lead character, hell bent on getting some justice for the killings of both her daughter (his wife) and her granddaughter (his daughter). (Episode-related video follows.) I watched the series in recent seasons. So, I won’t need to stream so many. But many I will need to stream. NCIS is the type of series that, unlike so many of the acclaimed, Emmy-recognized fare, doesn’t required deep thought, with episode-to-episode following and viewing (which is what I wouldn’t want; that can feel like a job!), and I don’t stress over missing an episode as if I missed too much. (I got lost with Lost, which was on ABC from 2004 to 2010, thanks to this. So, no thanks to the can’t-miss-an-episode nonsense anymore.) By the way: None of this, for me, is a waste.






Late-night Jimmy Dore Show videos. During the late night, I came across two YouTube-uploaded videos that felt appropriate to wait until today for posting. So, I will close this entry with two videos from Jimmy Dore. Subject matters are very interesting. In fact, I have set up a feature comment asking for feedback to a question I have related to the first video. And, after all this, I wish everyone a good week.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for progressiveschat-blogspot-com