Monday, December 28, 2020

Goodbye…!


2020 will be remembered as the year of the COVID–19 pandemic which is still in effect.

2020 also marks the year I lost my father.

It happened on Christmas Day. This last Friday, December 25, 2020.

I was with my father when he had his stroke in October.

We lived together.

I was with my father when he died, at age 88, during the early morning hours on Christmas Day.

As one who has always liked Christmas, for how it can bring people together, I will not look to the day as one I want to avoid but one I want to continue to appreciate. It is a good day. It is also my father’s day.

My father died at home with in-home Hospice. 

I was his caregiver. 

During the early period of his dying process, we talked. 

We were able to let each other know that we loved and were fortunate to have each other. Our family. Our lives. 

It was really good we talked. 

He told me, among a number of things, “[As a father], I made sure you [and your sibling] were provided for financially, emotionally, and spiritually.”

He did. My father, unlike my sibling and I, was not so fortunate. His father was present only financially.

My mother died at age 62 in 1998. (She was within weeks from turning 63.) She was 3 years younger than my father. He ended up with a lifespan of 25 more years than his wife. “I was married to a wonderful woman.” He said, after her death, his life was never the same. He missed her.

I will be turning 50 in 2021. I don’t look forward to that milestone of a birthday and age. But, I do look forward to moving past what I now label “The Worst Year Ever.”

2020 is…The Worst Year Ever.

Goodbye…Worst Year Ever!

Goodbye…To My Father!

While my life will be going through more changes, I will continue Progressives Chat with a regular schedule of blog topic posts on Mondays. I appreciate it. I know readers, who comment, do as well.

Although the word hope can mean little for some…I am hoping that this darkness that has been 2020 will bring us to light in 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for progressiveschat-blogspot-com