Friday, February 16, 2018

Open Weekend | Amy Vilela


This “Open Weekend” thread is a regular thing for Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

Please take this Progressives Chat to wherever you may want it to go.




UPDATE 02.16.2018 @ 03:00 p.m. ET: 

I am adding this video, from The Jimmy Dore Show, in which he interviews Amy Vilela

She is seeking nomination first followed by election to the U.S. House seat from the 4th Congressional District of Nevada. This is an area, as noted by Wikipedia, which includes “most of the northern area of Clark County [Las Vegas].” 

It is a newly created district, as Nevada increased population in the 2000s to go from three congressional districts and five electoral votes to its current four congressional districts and six electoral votes. 

It is a swing district. Democrat Steven Horsford was the first winner, from 2012, as Barack Obama carried the state with re-election. It flipped Republican, in the midterm elections of 2014, for Crescent Hardy. In 2016, despite Democrats losing the White House, nominee Hillary Clinton carried the state and Ruben Kihuen won a party pickup here.  (Compared to the state, Nevada #04 tilts slightly Democratic but is a swing district. Here is more information: Nevada #04—Elections 2012, 2014, and 2016.)

Kihuen, not on board for Medicare For All, drew a Democratic primary challenger in Vilela. Kihuen, under scandal for sexual misconduct allegations, has opted to not seek re-election. That should pave the way for Vilela. But, the Democratic Congressional Committee Campaign [DCCC], totally the corporate party establishment, does not want the nomination won by Vilela. 

I have considered contributing to Vilela’s campaign. I went to her website. Unfortunately, a credit-card contribution gets linked to Act Blue. I have come across to not trust Act Blue. So, I would have to mail a check. But, I am keeping a check on myself. I am thinking, “If the citizenry needs me, then they need a world of help that goes beyond just my being one individual thinking I can be of help. So, they are going to have to make it happen.”




No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for progressiveschat-blogspot-com